The best professors!

This is a section where you can recommend your guide/mentor/professor to students looking forward to do their MTech / MS

Re: The best professors!

Postby Administrator » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:36 am

That is why we have this thread. If you have data mining as your favourite subject, let us know who is the professor who you are working under at your institute.

I personally have interacted with both IIT'ians and IISc'ians. The state in which these guys are.. well the closest word is Intoxicated. IIT Mumbai is top class, no doubt about it, but IISc is no less. I will differ on the research at IISc being miniscule. Yes, there should be more research per se, but their focus on research is very high. MSc (lower cutoff) is regarded at higher pedestal than ME (higher cutoffs). It is just that each IIT has its own Microcosm, and two years just whiz past between your lab and your room.

But all the profs in all the IITs differ, they have to. And it is the perspectives that we are trying to capture in this thread.

I feel, a student can give you a feel of what his institute is like. But his view of other institutes will be slightly biased, since he hasnt been there. You can know only one IIT at a time! Of course you attend all interviews at various IITs, where both students and the faculty size each other up! But ultimately, you go to only one IIT, and you get to know the profs of only one IIT.

Currently, it is just the word of mouth, rather than anything else, in most of the cases, which decides where you want to go.

But some people are interested in particular streams, and would like to know where the faculty is the best, in which case this thread might be useful.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby karthrags » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:21 am

yes.. and a good metric would be the courses offered at that institute. it'll be a direct indication of the research focus of that institute. for example, iitk's offered courses is heavily biased towards theory as the have a LOT of great theory profs, which directly implies theory research has greater focus there. out here at iitm, i see more-than-normal number of vlsi and networks courses (4 different pg-level vlsi courses in 2 sems) and we also got the best vlsi group in india jointly with the elec vlsi dept, awarded by ISI :) and i think a govt-funded networks centre of excellence is to be established here, but not sure. and there's the tenet group.. and i can hazard a safe guess that there'd be a good number of databases/AI papers at iitb, as there're good profs there on it.
Karthik Raghavan
http://karthrags.wordpress.com

Is this a Digital Signature?
karthrags

Currently what are you doing?: Am Working
My College/Company:: NVIDIA Grpahics
Roll Number: 562506
City: Chennai

Postby sameer2009 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:54 pm

hi guys,
I m lookin for software architecture(SA) field.
Plz put some light on relation between SA and MTECH , MS...I mean which institue is good for SA and other stuffs..

thanks and regards.
Check this out!!! Free Android App for Computer Science and Engineering Exam.
Download .apk file @ tinyurl.com/csexamapp
See How To Use @ tinyurl.com/csexamapplication
sameer2009
Gatementor Guru
Gatementor Guru

My College/Company:: lt
Roll Number: 99999

Postby arun_kumar » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:47 pm

WELL WELL IF U R REALLY INTERESTED IN DNG MS /MTECH IN ELEC AT IITM .THEN ITS GOOD HERE WE HAVE THE BEST PROFESSORS.IN VLSI SHANTI PAVAN AND NAGENDRA ARE THE BEST ONES IN ANALOG VLSI .THEY ARE THE BEST AND IF U R REALLY INTERESTED IN DNG MS DO UNDER THE GUIDANCE OF THEM THEY EVEN CREATE U VERY VERY GUD OPPORTUNITIES
AND THERE IS NO NEED TO EXPLAIN ABT COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS I THINK HERE IN THIS DEPARTMENT WE ARE HAVING THE BEST BEST PROFESSORS
Dr. Andrew Thangaraj.
Dr. Anil Prabhakar(electromagnetics)
Dr. Aravind, R.
Dr. Jhunjhunwala
Dr. Balaji Srinivasan
Dr. Bhaskar Ramamurthi
and many more if u r interested go through thier profiles at http://www.ee.iitm.ac.in/people/faculty ... intro.html
:) enjoy ur life
arun_kumar

My College/Company:: M.G.I.T'/IITM/
Roll Number: 0
Packages: Previous Student
City: hyderabad

Postby varun.s.murthy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:12 pm

Thanks Arun..

The information you gave was really helpful.
varun.s.murthy
Gatementor Newbie
Gatementor Newbie

My College/Company:: PESIT / Cisco
Roll Number: 621010
Packages: Correspondence+Test Series
City: Bangalore

Postby varun.s.murthy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:14 pm

arun_kumar wrote:.THEY EVEN CREATE U VERY VERY GUD OPPORTUNITIES RE IS N.

Im not able to figure out what exactly this means.Any pointers anyone?
varun.s.murthy
Gatementor Newbie
Gatementor Newbie

My College/Company:: PESIT / Cisco
Roll Number: 621010
Packages: Correspondence+Test Series
City: Bangalore

Postby karthrags » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:20 pm

don't spam. repeat post deleted.
Karthik Raghavan
http://karthrags.wordpress.com

Is this a Digital Signature?
karthrags

My College/Company:: NVIDIA Grpahics
Roll Number: 562506
City: Chennai

Postby junaidazad » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Hey guys i respect your topic of discussion but i feel its d right place to ask this question...
Which IIT is best and what are the companies comming for recruitment and whats dere pay package structure??
And for research purpose whats d best??
junaidazad

My College/Company:: CET
Roll Number: 652005

Postby sragini » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:11 pm

@above,

The answer to your question is IITB is first among IITs for placements in CS...Next is IITD becoz these are the main industrial areas and the recruitment team feels very easy to come to these places becoz AIRWAYs are well connected.....this is the main reason why they pick students from IITB and IITD.Google,Yahoo,Microsoft and many big companies come but they hardly pick 3 to 4 students from all the IITs.....not more than that.......If u meet any IITian then u will come to know about the entire details of that IIT.

If u get below 200 rank apply in this order for the sake of good job after 2 years.

IITB then IITD then IISc then IITK then IITM then IITKGH then IITG.

I guess after 2 years market will be up and you can expect 13-14 lack package for year on avg and highest can be up to 17-18 lack....this is for CS only.
sragini
Gatementor Resident
Gatementor Resident

Currently what are you doing?: Am Studying
My College/Company:: Working

Postby lensonandrade » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:30 am

junaidazad wrote:Which IIT is best and what are the companies comming for recruitment and whats dere pay package structure??
And for research purpose whats d best??

We cannot generalize. At a post-graduate level, you should be looking at strength in particular areas and not of the college as a whole. Even better, look at the profiles of the professors, and take a look at their publications.
For CS, IITM is strong at Networks, VLSI, Computer Vision, Reinforcement Learning, Architecture, Distributed systems, Cryptography. It is average at OS, compilers.

The obsession with "Package" is not a good thing. The primary focus should be on learning; earnings would come on their own. :)

I believe the average salary figure quoted above is inflated. At IITM , the current batch of CS students has average salary offers of about 6.5 lkpa, and the previous batch had about 8.5 lkpa. I am pretty sure the figures at other IITs are comparable.
lensonandrade

My College/Company:: IIT Madras

PreviousNext

Return to The best Professors of IITs