The best professors!

This is a section where you can recommend your guide/mentor/professor to students looking forward to do their MTech / MS

The best professors!

Postby Administrator » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Well, if we leave out the few (95%) of the students who are entangled with the basic issues of GATE such as how to prepare, the schedule, syllabus and eligibility etc. there are a few who are enlightened (Yes, you are one of them!). They think about what specializations they should take, what is the future of a particular specialization, where is it taught best etc.

At any institute, while doing MTech or MS, a professor is your guide, your mentor. A guide is very important, overall, during your stay in these institutions. For these two / three years, you work under him days and nights together, and as such, your grades, your future, the kind of projects you do, everything is in his hands.

When you are going for a selection of any specialization in any of these institutes, knowledge of who is the faculty for the considered specializations is very important, but is often forgotten.

Here we invite the people who are doing their MTechs to tell us about their professors. Exotic, Exhilirating, Good, Bad, Ugly - come out with it! This will help GATE Aspirants a lot when they are considering their institutes and their specializations. Here we are not very particular about IITs only. Any institute, any location, let the truth be known.

Start a separate thread for each professor / specialization.

Thanks for your contribution in advance.
Administrator
Site Admin

Re: The best professors!

Postby krunalmodi » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:36 pm

Karthik,Chandler,IITArun ...Waiting keenly for your replies... :P
krunalmodi
Gatementor Regular
Gatementor Regular

Currently what are you doing?: Am Working
My College/Company:: tejts
Roll Number: 0

Postby shameek09 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:35 am

Just to spice up the activity on this thread, have a look at this promo of Walter Lewin.
An Introduction by Yahoo News-
"Walter Lewin is not merely dangling at the bottom of a 15-foot pendulum. He is swinging high and wide, his rapt audience of 300 counting off each cycle.

At 71, he's likely missed his window for a shot at Cirque du Soleil, but the Netherlands-born MIT physics professor seems happy with his own high wire act -- revealing to students, in the most unorthodox ways, the beauty of science. "
-------------------------------------------------------
Lewin's commitment and enthusiasm are never in question. Especially in videotaped moments like this one:

"Five, four, thee, two, one," Lewin counts and very, very, gently releases the wrecking ball.

It swings back on a wide arc until it loses forward momentum and then drops back in the other direction, headed right for Lewin's face.

The professor close his eyes as a puff of wind from the ball blows kisses to his face, but the ball itself stops just millimeters from the tip of his chin. Students gasp.

"Physics works! And I'm still alive," Lewin exclaims to thunderous applause.

It's clear that those present or watching online will not soon forget this lesson on the conservation of mechanical energy -- nor the man who taught it to them.

Here are some of the youtube links -
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=97oTDANuZco
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zc9Nuoe2Ow

Enjoy and be inspired! :D
"A mind stretched to an idea, never goes back to its original dimensions"
shameek09
Gatementor Newbie
Gatementor Newbie

Currently what are you doing?: Am Studying
My College/Company:: Unemployed
Roll Number: 772289
Packages: eTutor (eT)
City: Kolkata

Postby varun.s.murthy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:40 am

Have seen these videos on MIT OCW..theyre awesome!!!
varun.s.murthy
Gatementor Newbie
Gatementor Newbie

My College/Company:: PESIT / Cisco
Roll Number: 621010
Packages: Correspondence+Test Series
City: Bangalore

Postby shameek09 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:44 am

I was thinking if there are equivalent awe-inspiring professors in India too...I quite liked the lectures by Gilbert Strang for Linear Algebra too in between.But did not find any video as good as the Walter Lewin videos...
"A mind stretched to an idea, never goes back to its original dimensions"
shameek09
Gatementor Newbie
Gatementor Newbie

My College/Company:: Unemployed
Roll Number: 772289
Packages: eTutor (eT)
City: Kolkata

Postby varun.s.murthy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:50 am

shameek09 wrote:I was thinking if there are equivalent awe-inspiring professors in India too...

I sure hope there are..But somehow my pessimism drags me the other way..

But only people who have joined IITs/IISc will be the only people who can answer this question I guess..But whatever it is,the profiles of the professors in IITs/IISc look very very good..
varun.s.murthy
Gatementor Newbie
Gatementor Newbie

My College/Company:: PESIT / Cisco
Roll Number: 621010
Packages: Correspondence+Test Series
City: Bangalore

[Machine Learning] : Professors in IIT Bombay.

Postby Chandler » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi,

I am really sorry for not being able to post in such a LOOOOONG :oops: time ; Was very busy with Assignments, Projects, and other Submissions of all sorts, including Mid-Semester examinations, Quizzes and the like. If you really are geared up to spend about 16-18 hours a day(on a 4ft x 4ft quadrupled chair) in front of an Ocean of Education & Learning, then indeed one can claim that Higher Instituitions like IITs & IISc will make you feel right at home.

I am interested in the field of Text Mining & Machine Learning, and i feel that (though its unfair to make comparisons) that IIT-Bombay has among the best in this field. If it is possible for you guys, then please do visit the various courses undertaken by IIT-Bombay in its coursepage. Especially do visit the course-sites on Statistical Foundations of Machine Learning(CS 705) and Data Mining(CS 636). These courses are really tough and requires you to have a very strong background knowledge on Probability & Statistics, neither of which i had a good hold on. Hence, though i am struggling to cope up with the pace of these courses, both of them are very interesting and excellent to the hilt.

The Professor who teaches CS 705 is Professor Soumen Chakrabarti, one of the Best in his field, and has evoked a strong interest in me on HOW TO THINK ABSTRACT which is no small task. I would encourage people who are self-motivated and keen to learn more on this field to read more on this topic and do a go-through on all prerequisites on this subject. Conquering GATE is no small feat, but this is actually where your journey to excellence begins. All the Best for your future !!!
Chandler

My College/Company:: IIT-Bombay
Roll Number: 182004
City: Mumbai

Postby sragini » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:47 pm

Hi Chandler,

Everyone has a small doudt that why all students have opted for IIT B instead of IISc Bangalore!!!...what exactly is the reason?...everyone said that IISc is research oriented and IIT B is course oriented...is this difference only in this year???what about previous years toppers(2007,2006,2005)....they had choosen IISc bangalore only!!!!!....also you get many top companies in IISC like DRDO,ISRO,CRL etc....where packages are very high for those companies....Will there be same options in IIT B???....why all of a sudden every student has choosen IITB???...please answer all my questions.Thanks for spending your precious time still with all memebers of GATEMENTOR in advance.
sragini
Gatementor Resident
Gatementor Resident

My College/Company:: Working

Postby Administrator » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:23 am

Chandler is the right person to answer that. He actually came all the way to have an insight of IISc, and ultimately made an informed decision!
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby krunalmodi » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:33 am

I had little conversation with Chandan Iyer(chandler) sometime back.....

He said :
".....
Moreover, IIT-B is excellent in Data Mining and
Databases ; This actually is a favorite topic of mine.
Also, IISc is not all hunky-dory as people have a
notion of. The Brand name of IISc maybe good for
Research but actually M.E. guys really do miniscule
work on Research. Some of them hardly ever publish a
paper and hence Research O/P of M.E.-CSE is very low.
All in all, there is little or no difference between
IISc and IIT-B when it comes to doing Research at the
PG level.
......."

This was just a discussion.... But, opinion varies person to person......I just put a point....
krunalmodi
Gatementor Regular
Gatementor Regular

My College/Company:: tejts

Next

Return to The best Professors of IITs